Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Book Review: The Return(Titan #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Cursed The Return
by
Jennifer L. Armentrout
(Website|Twitter)
The Fates are cackling their bony asses off…

It’s been a year since Seth made the deal with the gods that pledged his life to them. And so far, the jobs they’ve given him have been violent and bloody–which is kind of all right with him. But now Apollo has something else in mind for Seth. He’s got to play protector while keeping his hands and fingers off, and for someone who really has a problem with restraint, this new assignment might be the most challenging yet.

Josie has no idea what this crazy hot guy’s deal might be, but it’s a good bet that his arrival means the new life she started after leaving home is about to be thrown into an Olympian-sized blender turned up to puree. Either Josie is going insane or a nightmare straight out of ancient myth is gunning for her.

But it might be the unlikely attraction simmering between her and the golden-eyed, secret-keeping Seth that may prove to be the most dangerous thing of all.

Because history has once again been flipped to repeat.

Book 1 in the new adult paranormal TITAN series, spin-off to the best selling COVENANT series.

5star
"Because history has once again been flipped to repeat"
Oh my Gods! I never would have thought how powerful that statement was until I finished the book. The Return just gave me a lot of feels! Can't believe I managed to finished it, no nothing dramatic like one sitting, but yeah close to that, like two or maybe three sitting and no I'am not joking. NVM, I don't know, all I know is I'am babbling right now because this book is just definitely too beautiful for my own good. My feels are still all over the place.




If you've read Covenant Series, like I did, you'll be able to pick on the story right away.There were no more world building and character introduction in this book. Even though it is a first of the series, it is still a sequel in the Covenant series after all.

The story picked up 1 year after The Covenant Series has left off. The world was already built and the characters has already been introduced, aside from Josie, our heroine, so that was actually unnecessary. Now, I believe this series is still readable if you wouldn't like to read the 5 book Covenant Series, since we have here a new character too, the one we have NOT met. You can just follow the story together with her, but I know, you wouldn't be satisfied and you would definitely want to read the first series, so yeah, the final judgement will still be yours. :)

Seth made a lot of horrible and scary things just a year ago. Granted, he indeed given up literally his life and his afterlife in the end for he believed what happen to Alex was unfair. Despite all of the sacrifices he made for Alex, he still haven't forgiven himself.
"It had been a long time since I'd let myself really think about her, really allowed any thought concerning her follow through. It wasn't because she'd broken my heart or picked someone else over me. I cared for her-as much as I'd been able to care anyone back then. No. Not being able to think about her had nothing to do with the brief relationship we had.

It has everything to do with how badly I screwed her over."
Seth has made a lot of ugly choices back then, killed thousand of hemotois and mortal alike in the process. Alex, was the only person that was able to reach him through his psycho moment and he actually helped took down their God enemy in the end. But, that doesn't make all the wrong choices he made right. He knows that.He never regretted the sacrifices he made even if he literally ended up with nothing.

Until Josie. Our awkward female lead for this story. She's a demigod, Daughter of Apollo, obviously more powerful than Pureblood and can surpass the power of an Apollyon. And our Seth's love interest.
"Gods, I hadn't pissed a circle around Josie, marking my territory, but I couldn't have been more obvious. So yeah, what the fuck?"
Just look at that Seth get all possessive and jealous, adorable.

Josie's completely oblivious of the world of the hematois, the choices she faced before was what course should she take for college, now she has no choice but to hide and fight the Titans that escaped together with other Demigods. Seth was tasked to keep Josie safe because apparently, a titan is hot on her trail wanting to take revenge on Apollo through her.

All their time together, Josie has managed to see a crack to Seth's chunk of armor. Climb inside and made a living.
"She knew everything-every fucking thing about me, and she was here, in my arms, gloriously warm and soft. Lucky? That didn't even cover it. She was.. she was a gift. Salvation."


I never realized how broken Seth really was. We get to see the glimpse of his hidden painful emotion.
"Nothing that was ever for just me and no one else. I've never been anyone's first." He kissed be and then lifted his head. I stared into his eyes."I've never been anyone's only"
Seth's... Intense. Well, the love scene is. **Blushing** Grey's inner Goddess will be ashamed,uhm, well that was completely off topic I know but I was just shocked on how fast Josie and Seth's relationship have develop in a span of one book only. I mean, Alex and Aiden's relationship started off the rock as well and they were tip toeing around each other until book 3, and Seth was like. Fuck off! I've got the first base!

Not that I'am complaining really.

While Alex's and Aiden's love story was beautiful and dangerous, being a half and pure couple, it was a big deal back then, Seth's and Josie's was Sweet and Scary and a little unstable. Seth has a lotof doubts and insecurities that can't be wiped off easily.
"It was that icy, nagging sensation that even though I held here right now, she was going to slip through my fingers, and there was nothing I could do about it."


My heart broke a little for Seth by the end of the Covenant series, so I was really happy when I heard that there was going to be a sequel and it's all going to be all Seth and no Aiden in the way. Right now, a love triangle is the least of Seth's problem. He'd pledge his life and his afterlife to the Gods after all.

I swear, if Seth didn't get to have his own happy ending... I'm done. Really done.

PS. I didn't like the cover, and I think it is too late for me to wish that they are going to change that anytime soon. The Power, even have the same cover. Disappointing, yes, but I think the cover has something to do with the fact that this was a New Adult. I just hope it was something similar, simple and catchy like the Covenant Series. NVM, I still enjoyed loved this book a lot.
Highly Recommended


Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments :) Just so you know, I love comments! I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :)