Friday, July 10, 2015

Book Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

GoddessTest The Goddess Test
by
Aimee Carter
(Website|Twitter)
Every girl who had taken the test has died.

Now it's Kate's turn.


It's always been just Kate and her mom - and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld - and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy - until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

If she fails...

DNF

DNF at 28%

I know that this was supposed to be a "Fresh take on the Greek Myths", but I just can't buy this, if this is how a fresh take on the Greek Myth is, I'll rather stick to the original Myth. Thank you.

itried

I really did try you know. You see, I wanted to read this book for a long time seeing that a lot of my friends here in GR have liked it and most of them gave this a 5 star rating, also, I'am a sucker for Greek Gods stories ever since the Percy Jackson series and The Covenant. This has been one of my highly anticipated read, then i read it and I wish I didn't. **SMH

Why this book made me LOL despite of it being an Urban fantasy, Romance instead of a Comedy book:

Logic Lapse
First off, a girl was trying to warn Kate, our Goddess, to fuck off from her amazingly good boyfriend, **rolls eyes** by tricking her in going to the middle of nowhere and swimming herself away to a river, only the plan didn't work out because the bully ended up dead. How? Well, she dived in the river and hit her head on a rock, that cracked her skull instantly killing her. I was like...

WHUT

What the hell? The river's got be fucking shallow for her to hit her head that hard! Her skull cracked! Even kids knew not to dive on a shallow water. That's is like a basic knowledge!

The book was like: Ava, your death is essential for our little Goddess to standout. 

How will you die? 

Oh that's not important as long as you die. Don't worry we'll revive you so killing yourself by diving in that freaking river and hitting your head, even if that looks stupidly ridiculous doesn't matter.

My Thoughts: Since she drive Kate in that middle of nowhere, if her main purpose was to leave Kate there and scare her, why the hell did she have to swim to river to get away? Kate, can like track her way back to the car, unto the main road, without going to the the river anyway.

Why didn't she turn back and just walk or even run her way back to her fucking car, leave Kate, and let her find her own way back? I would've believe it if she trips and hit her head in a rock on the way! or if water is really necessary since Kate's afraid of water, the river should've drowned the bitch by producing a huge wave, well, I'am not really sure if River can produce huge waves, but whatever, this was supposed to be paranormal right? Diving your head on a shallow river isn't paranormal that was freaking stupid and hilarious. **HEAVY BREATHING**

Hades. I won't claim to be a know-it all when it comes to Greek Mythology. In fact, my knowledge of that subject came from the Percy Jackson and Covenant Series only, but those book made me love that subject. If I read The Goddess Test before those book, I don't think I'll like Greek mythology the way I do now.

One of the main character of this book was Hades or rather, Henry. The God of Underworld. He was portrayed here as a compassionate, depressed, sulking, young man, who goes around reviving people if you will give in to his wish to be his wife or queen. I don't know, I didn't stick around to know why he's trying to make a Persephone rip-off, if that's what he's doing, because as far as I know, Hades, didn't ask Persephone to go to the underworld with him, he kidnaps her, and tricked her into eating the pomegranate something so she can be bind with him. I can't even imagine him as a God, nope, not convincing enough.

Kate is our perfect MC.*Insert sarcastic remarks here* She's kind, a loving daughter and beautiful. In fact, she managed to get a lot of suitor on her first day as a transfer student in her new school, as a result, most girls in her school hate her already just by existing. How Typical. She's the kind of MC wherein, if something bad happens she automatically blames herself. *How about ...no?*

Just for fun, I did this:

description

Sorry, but I really can't stand heroine like that. Then again, I only managed to read until 28% only so I don't know if her character will grow throughout the story. I was thrown off by that scene in the river.

Romance: Since I didn't stick around, I wasn't able to get a glimpse of how the romance will work. Maybe, the story centered with the romance that will somehow make-up with the things I didn't like in this book.. But, I just can't read it anymore. Maybe, I guess it's better this way, atleast I wasn't forced to give it a one star rating.. It's better that way.. or not?


Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments :) Just so you know, I love comments! I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :)