Monday, July 6, 2015

Book Review: Storm (Elemental #1) by Brigid Kemmerer

Storm Storm
by
Brigid Kemmerer
(Website|Twitter)
Earth, Fire, Air, Water – they have more power than you dream.

Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her, Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys—all the ones she doesn't want. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water—just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They’re powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life’s at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who’s hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming . . .


4star

Storm has been out for almost 3 years now. Why did I read it just now? I honestly didn't like the cover of the book. It has been sitting around my SCRBD account for a while now. I don't know what kind of spirit possessed me that made me pick up this book, but I want to find it and kiss it and thank it! Because of it I was able to read one of my best read this year.


This Urban YA fantasy was a fun and easy read. Sure, there were predictable moments in the book and there were moments when I wanted to bitch slap Becca, the main female lead, in the face, but there were no idle moments. Highschool stories really entertains me because, well, I didn't have a fun highschool life myself, so I wanted to experience those things through the books I read, with a little fantasy of course and this book definitely made me want to go back and remade my highschool life, have a little fun atleast. PLUS! there are 4, no scratch that, 5 sarcastic, hot boys that is swoon worthy. So yeah, definitely my cup of tea.

The Merrick brothers are pure Elementals, and apparently it was pretty big deal. Pure elementals are powerful, not a lot of their kind are pure elementals some fall in between. Each Merrick brothers has their own element. Michael, the eldest brother is an earth, the twins, Nick and Gabriel both has different element, which is fire and air lastly, Chris the water of the family. A little bit convenient to have a 4 pure elemental in the family I know, but I'm not complaining.

description

The character growth of each characters in this book was believable. There are a lot of character involved in this story, but each and everyone managed to make an impression to me as a reader. Although I just wanted to know why every Evil characterization in a highschool story always has to be a cheerleader? Why is it so common in a YA book? Really, I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Anyway, the story is told on a dual POV, between Chris, the youngest Merrick brother, and Becca, our female lead. Storm was intriguing. You see the blurb? That is practically how the story start. Becca saving Chris's ass on the parking lot. She's known Chris for a long time as they have been in the same class but they never really acknowledge each other's existence, until that night. And that's basically how she got involved in the Merrick brother's business which isn't so bad at all if you ask me.

Then Hunter appeared. He gave a lot of attention to Becca, which was obviously suspicious. I wouldn't really call it as a love triangle, although Becca and Hunter screw around, it was obvious that Becca was meant to be with Chris's, and the development between their relationship was so much more believable.

I did have some issues with Becca. She has been shunned in highschool ever since his crappy ex-boyfriend spread nasty lies about her. I didn't like how reckless she is, how she acts like nothing traumatic has happened to her. I also didn't like the way Quinn, her bestfriend, acted bitchy at times just to put Becca on a good light for the reader, atleast, that was how I saw it. Like, every other girls in this story was not good enough as Becca. *SMH

description

Secrets were slowly being unravel throughout the book. I could barely put this book down once I get the hang of reading it.

I really am looking forward to the sequel, since Gabriel is m favorite Merrick Brother! *Swoons.
What is it with me having a bad-guy syndrome?


Uhm, yeah well.. is that my drool? damn fetish..


Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments :) Just so you know, I love comments! I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :)