Saturday, July 4, 2015

Book Review: Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway

Touchofdeath Touch of Death
by
Kelly Hashway
(Website|Twitter)
Jodi Marshall isn't sure how she went from normal teenager to walking disaster. One minute she's in her junior year of high school, spending time with her amazing boyfriend and her best friend. The next she's being stalked by some guy no one seems to know. After the stranger, Alex, reveals himself, Jodi learns he's not a normal teenager and neither is she. With a kiss that kills and a touch that brings the dead back to life, Jodi discovers she's part of a branch of necromancers born under the 13th sign of the zodiac, Ophiuchus. A branch of necromancers that are descendants of Medusa. A branch of necromancers with poisoned blood writhing in their veins. Jodi's deadly to the living and even more deadly to the deceased. She has to leave her old, normal life behind before she hurts the people she loves. As if that isn't difficult enough, Jodi discovers she's the chosen one who has to save the rest of her kind from perishing at the hands of Hades. If she can't figure out how to control her power, history will repeat itself, and her race will become extinct.

5star
I lost interest and attempted to DNF it on 40%,but i didn't. I thought 40% is a little bit unfair to judge the book, so it took me until 70% to say that I've finally read enough.


Seriously. I've read a lot of painful books before, hell, I even Managed to finish Fallen and Hush Hush, and even The Selection without hurting anyone. If you read touch of death, you'll be touched by death seriously, to think I already struggled through the book before 50%, this book has potential, and I am being sarcastic if you haven't realize yet.


The first time I have ever read the blurb. I was like, "I need to read this", "This is the kind of book for me", who wouldn't want to read about the 13th zodiac? The first time I heard about Ophiuchus was in an anime called Fairy tail, and I was so surprised because I didn't have an idea. I thought, How can a story about necromancers with Greek Gods be wrong? Turns out everything. The crappy plot, stupid, self centered and Mary Sue heroine and a messed up attempt for a love story.

One day, Jodi Marshall was driving and accidentally hit and killed a Deer. She then accidentally bled on the poor deer and brought it back to life.

Me: Oh, this sounds so good. Jodi Marshall is so cool!

The girl was so freaked out but shrugged it off, continue to go to school. The teacher then proceeds with explaining history about Ophiuchus, the 13th zodiac and they are born under November 29 and December 17, obviously not all people born under those dates are Ophi, or there would be no death. Apparently, Jodi is part of the special group of Necromancers called Ophi, who has Gorgon blood on their body.

Me: But.. but.. how did it happen that Jodi's blood and tears suddenly can kill and bring people back to life? Someone explain it to me!

So when people start dying, in a matter of few days after hitting the deer she's being stalked by a guy with piercing green eyes.


Good thing, green eyes is an Ophi too and appeared to help Jodi understand how dangerous she was.

Me: Oh, there he is! The answer to all of my questions!

Only he didn't. If anything, he's become one of the annoying characters in the story. Him and Jodi.

description

The boy then tell Jody that she is a descendant of Medusa, an Ophi. She has gorgon blood that has the ability to bring the dead back to life and make the living fall dead. I know, if some random boy told me that I have poisonous blood or spit or tears, I would've thought the guy is mental. But c'mon, Jodi's killed and raised a lot of people and things by then to atleast give it a benefit of the doubt and be a little more cautious. But do you know what she did? Yep, she stayed home, get out with her boyfriend and make out with him. What happened? Obviously he died.

Me: Should I be sad? Should I be sorry? I must be a bad person because all i can think about is Jody brought it upon herself. Stupid.

Alex, is too damn dramatic if you ask me.
So I kissed her. When we pulled away, I wished her a happy birthday. But before she could respond, she slumped forward in my lap.
I mean, seriously? Am I expected to cry too? Who would want to kiss a total stranger just to wish her a happy birthday?(and i don't think it was an ordinary kiss like, smack, i think it would be like snogging, cause how else can you have your own saliva passed on other people?) I know teens hormones are like worm, but that's unbelievable, that's not tragic, that's stupid.



Romance:
Oh, God, I was starting to have feelings for Alex. And not “creepy-my-former-stalker-is-touching-my-arm” kind of feelings. They were “I-can-kiss-him-and-not-kill-him” kind of feelings.
She killed her boyfriend, almost killed her mother in the process now all she thinks about is to kiss the only boy she know will not die if she kiss him.

Me: oh no Jodi dear, i don't think it's time to boy hunt.. Eye rolling

I have a lot of issues in this book. But I thought I don't have to enumerate all of them because I will be just basically write the whole 70% of the book. No. I just can't bring myself to finish the last 30% of the book. I.. can't. I honestly don't think I've done something wrong to deserve that torture.


Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments :) Just so you know, I love comments! I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :)