Friday, October 2, 2015

Book Review: If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? by Melissa Kantor

If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince?
by
Melissa Kantor
Genre: Young-adult, Contemporary, Romance
Wicked stepmother? Check. Evil stepsisters? Check. Miserable life? Check.

Lucy Norton’s life has all the makings of a Cinderella story. Her dad’s always away on business, leaving Lucy with her cruel stepmother and bratty stepsisters. She’s burdened with chores, and has a hard time fitting in at her new school. So when she sees Connor Pearson, the star player on the varsity basketball team, Lucy hopes her destiny has finally changed. With everything else going on in her life, doesn’t she at least deserve to get the handsome prince?

Melissa Kantor’s enchanting novel proves that sometimes the happy ending isn’t quite the one you’d expect. Lucy’s about to discover the truth about finding her real Prince Charming… and finding herself.


3 Stars

Well, for someone that claims, contemporary romance is her least favorite genre, I'm sure having a great time with back to back contemporary reads I recently had.
"You're doing a great job," said my dad when he came into the kitchen to get more ice. I was standing by the stove watching to make sure the spinach in phyllo dough didn't burn. "This is what I like to see." He came over and gave my shoulder a squeeze."This is the girl I always knew you could be."

He always knew I could be a maid?
I always had a soft spot for Cinderella retellings, being it my all-time favorite fairy tale.

Only, this isn't a contemporary retelling.


The cover of this book kinda reminds me of this movie:

description

Mostly because of the converse shoes on the cover, but believe me, that's where the similarities end.

I just couldn't leave this book alone and lonely when I saw it sitting on a Book Sale I passed by. I could just pretend not to see it, but this stupid voice inside my head just won't allow me to walk away.

Me: No I didn't just saw that book with a lame title that seems to be a Cinderella Retelling
Logical Me: Of course you saw that, stop pretending.
Me: I won't buy that-
Logical Me: But it's on sale!
Me: I know, but-
Logical Me: and don't you love Cinderella?
Me: Yes I do! But-
Logical Me: Aren't you a little bit intrigued with the title?
Me: I'am. But-
Logical Me: Just buy it then! What are you waiting for?
Me: Actually I think I'll pass-
Logical Me: By the time you realize you actually want this book, it would be gone. And you'll be sorry.

I obviously lost the internal argument, not that I'm trying really. And I almost regret it. Maybe because in the first half of the book, I saw Lucy as a brat, that just because her father remarried a woman who coincidentally had 2 daughters, she'd like to assume her life has turned into a soap-opera, and she's become a Cinderella, (minus the singing birds and dress-making mice as friends).

Later on, Lucy's struggles with her step-mother has become quite familiar, atleast for me, totally relatable for teenagers. I mean, at one point in my teenager life, I felt like no adult can understand me too, embarrassing I know, but that's all part of growing up, if you ask me. And that's why I liked this book a lot. It focused on the growth of the character. Lucy's personalities, her thoughts and her mistakes, that later on she managed to get over herself and realize that life isn't a fairy tale.

If you love sweet and light read this book is definitely a good pick. However, I think I would just like to warn you, that this book is quite predictable, I was able to predict how everything's going to end at like 30% of the book, but that's fine! You know why? Because the characters were able to keep this book a very enjoyable and hilarious read.
"And as I crossed the ballroom, I felt a tremendous surge of joy. Who knew you could dump your prince and still keep your loyal court?"
Special thanks to the voice inside my head that urge me to buy and read this book. JK.
Book Links:





Melissa Kantor is a teacher in Brooklyn, New York, where she lives with her husband, the poet Benjamin Gantcher, and their son. She is the author of Confessions of a Not It Girl and The Breakup Bible. Visit her online at www.melissakantor.com.




Author Links:
Website|Goodreads|Twitter|Facebook


Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments :) Just so you know, I love comments! I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :)