Saturday, November 14, 2015

Book Review: Forget Tomorrow by Pintip Dunn

Forget Tomorrow
(Forget Tomorrow Series #1)
by
Pintip Dunn
Genre: Young-adult, Dystopian, Romance
Imagine a world where your destiny has already been decided...by your future self.

It's Callie’s seventeenth birthday and, like everyone else, she's eagerly awaiting her vision―a memory sent back in time to sculpt each citizen into the person they're meant to be. A world-class swimmer. A renowned scientist.

Or in Callie's case, a criminal.

In her vision, she sees herself murdering her gifted younger sister. Before she can process what it means, Callie is arrested and placed in Limbo―a hellish prison for those destined to break the law. With the help of her childhood crush, Logan, a boy she hasn’t spoken to in five years, she escapes.

But on the run from her future, as well as the government, Callie sets in motion a chain of events that she hopes will change her fate. If not, she must figure out how to protect her sister from the biggest threat of all—Callie, herself.


2star

I wish I could've given this book a higher rating, after all Forget Tomorrow has been one of my anticipated read this year. After seeing its beautiful cover and reading its totally intriguing premise, I can't help but wanting to read it. Though, I must admit that after reading the blurb, the first thing that comes in my mind was Minority Report , I never got the chance to read the book, but I did watch the movie, and I must say, If I've known how painful it is to read this book, I should've watch the movie again or try reading The Minority Report book.
"My entire childhood has been a countdown to the day I receive my future memory. I spent so much time anticipating tomorrow—making plans, imagining scenarios, worrying endlessly—I’m not sure I know how to live in the present. I wouldn’t even know where to begin."
Callie lives in the future world where your future-self, finds a way to send a memory to your present-self, to direct the course of direction of your life-whether a future chef, swimmer an official... Or in Callie's case, a criminal.
"I have to be brave. But I’m not brave. Not really. I’m not anything. I’m just a girl. Only a girl. Nothing but a girl. No, that’s not true. I’m a girl who will kill my sister in the future."
This is book was set in a very intriguing and complicated world. Well, time is a complicated topic, it's endless possibility is immense, but the book kind of limit it. There were a lot of hole in the story and A lot of what-the-hell-is-happening moments. There's this place called harmony, it has been a refuge for people trying to run-away from their future, obviously an ideal place for Callie, who'll commit crime in the future. I think it's funny how they see Eden city/Civilization and Harmony as two different worlds, I know they are stating a metaphor.. but still.. Ugh, I just won't rant anymore than I should. You probably have to read the book itself and see for your self.


I really really liked the writing style of this book. But, it's not enough for me to enjoy reading this book. Because the characters and unnecessary romance kind of played a major role in making this a painful read for me.

I thought this story is about a determined girl who wanted to save her sister, a girl who would defy everything to make sure that the safety of her sister is secure, in short, I thought I would meet a likable character, but alas, I couldn't have been more wrong. Because I sincerely find Callie annoying. She spent a lot of time wondering how she's going to save her sister, that she's doing the right thing being away from her sister, that way she'll never be able to harm her. She wonders about it all plot long, and then, surprise surprise! She suddenly wakes up wanting to go back to the civilization to meet and save her sister on the day Logan, her love interest, is (conveniently) set to leave for Eden City.
"Ah, romance. Isn't it grand? It screws with your mind and makes you do stupid things like throw your future away."
My thoughts exactly.

Then there's Logan, the boy who stopped talking to Callie 5 years ago. Which he has perfectly great and beautiful alibi for doing so. I honestly tried my best to enjoy this book, but Callie and Logan's relationship has no chemistry at all. It was so easy to predict, not even a slight swoon-worthy effect.

"He reaches up and catches my earlobe between his fingers. "You have really nice ears. Anyone ever tell you that?"
description

And then, the ending.

There are two types of cliffhanger for me, one that is made the readers set their nerves on edge unable to stop their mind from formulating things that supposed to happen next, the one that will make the readers happily anticipate the next book to know what happens next.. Then there's this cliffhanger that makes you so angry that make you want to punch someone in the face.. In this case, it's the latter. I certainly didn't expect the ending, but seriously, that cliffhanger just seal the deal for me. I was not amused.

I received a digital copy of this book for free in exchanged for an honest review. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, YaBoundBookTours and NetGalley.

Book Links:


When her first-grade teacher asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up, Pintip replied, “An author.” Although she has pursued other interests over the years, this dream has never wavered. Pintip graduated from Harvard University, magna cum laude, with an A.B. in English Literature and Language. She received her J.D. at Yale Law School, where she was an editor of the YALE LAW JOURNAL. Pintip is represented by literary agent Beth Miller of Writers House. She is a 2012 RWA Golden Heart® finalist and a 2014 double-finalist. She lives with her husband and children in Maryland.


Author Links:
Website|Goodreads|Twitter|Facebook


Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments :) Just so you know, I love comments! I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :)