Sunday, January 3, 2016

Book Review: The Casquette Girls by Alys Arden


The Casquette Girls
by
Alys Arden
Genre: Young-adult, Paranormal, Romance

Seven girls tied by time.
Five powers that bind.
One curse to lock the horror away.
One attic to keep the monsters at bay.

After the storm of the century rips apart New Orleans, sixteen-year-old Adele Le Moyne wants nothing more than her now silent city to return to normal. But with home resembling a war zone, a parish-wide curfew, and mysterious new faces lurking in the abandoned French Quarter, normal needs a new definition.

As the city murder rate soars, Adele finds herself tangled in a web of magic that weaves back to her own ancestors. Caught in a hurricane of myths and monsters, who can she trust when everyone has a secret and keeping them can mean life or death? Unless . . . you’re immortal.


I wanted to like this more than I did. I really do. The blurb sounds amazing and intriguing enough for me to pick this book up. I wonder why MC's and romance have to fuck everything up for me. I don't know if it's just me, but the romance department of some of the YA books I've read lately annoys the shit out of me. It's just so frustrating and disappointing.
"I felt very tiny, like a pawn in a life-size game of chess where the stakes were real. How many wrong moves have I made, unaware that I was even a player?"
I have no idea what this story is about when I started reading it. I was pleasantly charmed and intrigued with the setting of the book, but aside from the characters and romance that pretty-much put me off, I also didn't appreciate how the story is so eventful but still make the story somehow drags.

A storm has almost swept the New Orleans apart. The damaged was bad, so bad that the government turns a blind eye on what's happening of the place and when the initial news and excitement has died down, it's like people of New Orleans was left to fend of themselves, which I find utterly ridiculous. The place is just starting to get on their feet after the nasty storm, if it isn't bad enough, dead bodies after dead bodies are found in the streets drained with blood and the government and even the media has decided to let them deal with their problem. Its like New Orleans was temporarily removed of the map to conveniently cater the story. There goes your world building.

But to its credit, the book made a very good job at advertising New Orleans because it got me really intrigued. I fell inlove with New Orleans and the introduction of the Casquette girls. I think that it's amazing and unique. I even started looking through google images what New Orleans look like and to know more information about the Casquette girls and the writing was great! That's pretty much the reason why I stick with the story, all other thing was a turn off for me.

The story started out so great, then the MC suddenly met 2 mysteriously sibling hot guys and another 1 in a cafe. the story started to freaking dragged i struggled not to actually start reading backwards to just know what will eventually happen.

I also think that this book is quite a hypocrite. I mean, it is so strongly against to the idea of sparkling vampires(which is ridiculous), but have no problem making the vampire blush and have flickered heartbeat in this book. Well, I guess if the author wants their vampires to blush, sparkle or have a heartbeat, who am I to judge?

description

This book had a great potential and superb writing. If unnecessary romance doesn't annoy you, then by all means don't let my review scare you away from reading this book.

Book Links:




ALYS ARDEN grew up in the Vieux Carré, cut her teeth on the streets of New York, and has worked all around the world since. She still plans to run away with the circus one day.





Author Links:



Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving comments :) Just so you know, I love comments! I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :)